Saturday, July 25, 2009

Carrot Cake Oatmeal Cookies

These are carrot cake cookies inspired by the cookbook "Cookies for Everyone" by Leslie Hammond and Betsy Laakso. I adapted the recipe somewhat. The recipe calls for ginger, vanilla, and nutmeg (my ginger has sulfur dioxide, and I wasn't sure how Z would respond to it; vanilla extract has corn in it; and I couldn't find my nutmeg). It also calls for a frosting filling using Spectrum Organic Shortening, and since I still haven't introduced palm oil, I didn't want to test it out on Little Z yet.

These were soooo good. We loved them, as did my 7-year old niece, who asked for the recipe. And, they were sweet enough without the frosting!!!

Ingredients:
1 cup packed brown sugar
1 cup granulated sugar
½ cup applesauce
½ cup vegetable oil (I used canola)
¼ cup flax meal
1½ cups brown or white rice flour (I used brown rice flour)
½ cup tapioca flour
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp baking powder (I used Featherweight, a corn-free baking powder)
¼ tsp salt
1 tsp cinnamon
2 cups certified GF rolled oats
1½ cups finely grated carrots (I ground mine in the food processor)
1 cup packed raisins
¼ cup shredded apple peels (optional – I made my own applesauce for these cookies because I wasn't sure if mine was corn free, and I hated to waste the apple peelings!)

Preparations:
Combine sugars, applesauce, oil, flax meal and cream together. Add the remaining ingredients (except oats, carrots and raisins) and blend until smooth. Add oats, carrots and raisins and mix well. The recipe then says to chill in the refrigerator for at least an hour until firm. I instead added a little extra rice flour until the consistency was a little thicker.
Scoop dough onto a cookie sheet lined with aluminum foil (use a small ice cream scoop). Flatten dough slightly and bake 12-15 minutes or until golden. Remove immediately and cool on a flat surface. Yields about 45 cookies.

Posted by Picasa

No comments:

Post a Comment