Saturday, July 25, 2009

I Can't Believe it's Soy Free - Orange Chicken!!!


This is a recipe I created after scouring the Internet and cookbooks for meal ideas. I have been trying to find a way to make Chinese food that tastes like it has soy sauce in it, when it really doesn't. I read somewhere you can make your own soy-free soy sauce with balsamic vinegar and molasses, which is why this has vinegar. I also have been trying to avoid using any corn ingredients (I think they bother Little Z), which is why I used freshly-squeezed orange juice (I didn't want to deal with all the additives many juices have).

This tasted really good, and I could not believe that it didn't have any soy sauce in it. I will definitely be making this again.

Ingredients:
3 large boneless chicken breasts, chopped (approximately 1 to 1½ lbs)
½ cup freshly-squeezed orange juice (a juicy, large navel orange should work)
2 tsp salt
2 tsp white balsamic vinegar (has sulfites)
2 tsp powdered garlic
¼ tsp powdered cayenne pepper
1 tsp crushed red pepper
1 Tbl sp unsulfured blackstrap molasses
1 tsp dry mustard
½ cup diced green bell pepper
1½ fresh oranges, peeled and chopped (I used navel oranges in this recipe)
rice or Thai-style rice pasta

Preparation:
Mix orange juice, vinegar and spices until well blended. Place chicken in a saute pan with a little oil and pour orange-juice mixture over it. Add diced bell pepper and chopped oranges and cook on low to medium heat until the liquid reduces down and the chicken is golden brown. Stir every few minutes to ensure it doesn't burn. When chicken is thoroughly cooked and golden, stir in the prepared Thai-style rice pasta, or serve over warm rice.

The orange chicken here is shown with Thai-style Pasta.
Posted by Picasa

No comments:

Post a Comment