Friday, August 7, 2009

Spaghetti Sauce - gluten, corn, and Top 8 free





We've been trying to rule out a corn intolerance, so I had to rethink and revamp how I made spaghetti sauce for little Z. I used to use store bought canned chili-style or Italian-style tomatoes along with grated veggies and lots of spices, but I still can't find corn free canned tomatoes (if anyone knows of any, please, let me know!).

I freeze any leftovers in 1 cup portions so that I have an easy and quick meal on hand for Little Z on busy days – all I need to do is boil little Z some noodles. I have been making this for a while, so the measurements are my best guesstimate!

Ingredients:
1 12 oz can tomato paste
3-4 tomatoes, or a pint cherry tomatoes, chopped
½ to 1 cup water (depending on how thick you like your sauce)
2 T oregano
2 T Italian seasoning
3 large leaves of fresh basil, minced
1 tsp onion powder
2 cloves garlic, minced
1bay leaf
½ tsp black pepper
1 tsp cayenne pepper (optional – have you figured out that we like spice at our house?)
2 large carrots, peeled and grated (this adds a nice sweetness, and helps increase little Z's veggie intake!)
1 large yellow onion, peeled and chopped
2 T chopped green onion (optional)
4 oz chopped mushrooms
1-2 T brown sugar (to remove tartness)
salt to taste
olive oil

Preparation:
In a large saucepan, saute ½ of onion in oil. Add tomatoes, tomato paste, water, spices, grated carrot, mushrooms, sugar and the other half of the onion and cook on medium heat stirring every few minutes until it begins to bubble. You can add browned ground beef or turkey at this time, if desired. Turn on low heat and let it simmer for at least 45 minutes stirring every few minutes. Salt to taste.
Posted by Picasa

No comments:

Post a Comment